The Cross Country Journey

posted in: Blog, Life | 0

We landed in Portland in June 30 after a four day cross country drive. Husband and I packed up the Rogue with the kitties and ourselves to head west. Our goal was 8 hours of driving per day but we averaged more than that. We drove along 90 and were one of the only cars the entire route.

On the second day we took a detour through the Badlands. We wanted to enjoy some of the scenery without having to drive too far out of the way. Adventure becomes more complex with cats in the car. It’s not like you can take a long hike or anything of that nature. We did our best playing tag team for cat sitting.¬†We made a brief stop at Wall Drugs and picked up a few gemstone specimens for our collection.

We were able to catch a glimpse of the bison in the badlands. We also saw a prairie dog coterie along the road.  Husband saw an elk while driving through the mountains. I saw my first ever magpie along the road in the Crow Nation. There were a couple of eagle sightings, too. After spending so much time in the land of corn and beans, the mountains were a big hit with both of us and Mr. Baby. He really loved the ride. Gidget slept the whole way.

The trip was long but went off without any issues.

Once we arrived in Portland, we had a few days to catch up on sleep and get the lay of the land before the boys arrived. It helps a lot that I’m familiar with the area but so much has changed that it can be a bit disorienting. We headed up to the rose garden and Japanese garden to see the sights. It was packed and we decided it would be best when there’s a nice drizzle.

We decided to take the train to pick up the boys at the airport. It made for a long day but It’s probably what we will do for airport travel in the future.

We spent some time at the coast on 4th of July. It was a perfect family day. We pulled of at a viewing point and found tons of ripe wild blackberries. We explored three different beaches and found one gem that we will return to.


Yesterday I we rode the train in to explore the city. We had donuts at Blue Star, checked out Powell’s Books, and ate lunch from food trucks. We were beat when we got back but it was worth it. Today our pod arrives and then live will start to get normal.